attempting to boot Dell PowerEdge R710 with uEFI still panics with 2020-08-20-LATEST

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 01:19:40 PDT 2020

I have an ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro mobo with Ryzen Threadripper 3970X and
it crashes with the same message when booting with 'pure' UEFI. And it
boots fine when booting with BIOS emulation (enable 'CSM
(Compatibility Support Module)').

However, on this mobo there is also a way to boot with UEFI when parts
of the CMS module are enabled. For this, I enable the CSM module; then
a sub-menu appears which enables further configuration. It gives the
following type of selections for various device classes:

[UEFI and Legacy OPROM] [Legacy OPROM only] [UEFI only]

Tweaking those I managed to boot via UEFI with the video is recognized
with the EFI buffer and a higher resolution than what BIOS would give.
I can't remember exactly which one I enabled, but I can check and
report next week when I get back to office.

So you might be able to make it work if your mobo has similar options.

Peeter