may I suggest two new symlinks: newfs_ufs for newfs and newfs_hammer1 for newfs_hammer ?

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Wed Aug 12 18:08:58 PDT 2020

For now I'd rather not.  It would certainly be less ambiguous but there is
a lot of history there and, again, potential backwards portability issues.

One thing that would be nice would be for 'newfs' to look at the filesystem
type in the disklabel for the specified device (if possible) and exec the
correct newfs_* program based on that type.  Another big problem, though,
is that the options and other arguments are different for each newfs_*
variant.