how do I label (meaning adding a reminder caption) to any given BSD slice ?

nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 18:06:28 PDT 2020

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 08:04:16 +0800
Aaron LI <aly at aaronly.me> wrote:

> > On Aug 10, 2020, at 10:43, Dan Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On Sun, Aug 9, 2020, 14:04 nacho Lariguet <lariguet at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> ie: the "label:" field shown under the "diskid:" one with disklabel64
> >>
> >> It seems there is no switch (maybe -l) on disklabel64 (when using -w) to label a slice.
> >

> > I believe you want to specify the pack id. Please check with:
> >
> > disklabel -w -n your_disk auto 'your_label'
>
> Yes, disklabel(8) currently has no option to add/modify the packid (i.e. label name) of a slice. At the moment, one need to dump the current label, modify the ‘label:’ field, and then write back.

When I first saw PackID on the man page it never occurred to me that it was the label; ID sounded to me like something you're not supposed to fiddle with lest able to change it maybe due to development habits given my past coding DBs and the like. I never associated it with a label/caption. Furthermore, when you run disklabel64 it says label not PackID. I didn't make the connection.

> It’s on my todo list for some time to update disklabel(8) to better do this job, since we are using it in the installer images.

Adding a switch to add a label will be fine, however, there is no hurry since this can be done with disklabel64 as it is right now, maybe it is not the proper way to do it, but it is working as pointed to me by Dan Chen. And I suppose you should have more important things to do instead. Anyway thanks for your reply Aaron :) !