can I use the display native resolution on vty0 as on any other vty's using KMS ?

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 00:19:41 PDT 2020

Hello

The restriction of ttyv0 to max 160 columns is inherent in the
syscons(4) driver. The man page syscons(4) says this:

---
Please note that ttyv0 is restricted to 160 columns and any setting of
kern.kms_columns resulting in a higher number of columns will be
ignored for ttyv0, but applied to other virtual terminals.
---

The reason is that at early boot, memory is tight so ttyv0 is given a
buffer of certain max size. The size of this buffer is not updated
afterwards. The other ttyv-s are initialized later, they can allocate
more memory. Hence the difference between ttyv0 and other ttyv-s.

I suppose allocating initially a buffer of fixed max size is not
uncommon at early boot. If I'm seeing it right, FreeBSD restricts
initial width to max 200 characters, which is possibly updated later.
DragonFly does not update the ttyv0 buffer; so in principle there is
room to extend the code to do this.

Cheers

Peeter