what is the best approach to move data from NTFS to HAMMER2 ?

nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:59:04 PDT 2020

I do know that right now HAMMER2 is considered rock-solid as stated by Matthew Dillon himself.

So I am starting to wonder which will be the best way to eventually move a lot of data I currently have on Windows 2008 R2 EE servers to dragonFly on HAMMER2. I can think of mainly two ways to accomplish this:

- over the network, provided I can manage to keep both servers running (ie: NOT repurposing the Windows one to dragonFly)
- attaching the Windows drives offline to the dragonFly server as read-only using the NTFS driver

Which leads me to the question:

How good/stable is this driver right now (meaning read-only access) ?

The newer post I found regarding NTFS is this one:

http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2017-April/357199.html

... which asks for writing to NTFS which is not my case.

But overall, I didn't find anything regarding the pros and cons of using such driver.

My data consists of lots of small files (development, documentation, and the like); however there's also a lot of uncompressed media on the server with many files around 40 GB apiece.

Can you advise please ?