Fw: cannot find the equivalent to linux US Alternative International (us-acentos) keymap

nacho Lariguet lariguet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:48:20 PDT 2020

forgot to CC the user list

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 23:46:39 -0300
From: nacho Lariguet <lariguet at gmail.com>
To: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org>
Subject: Re: cannot find the equivalent to linux US Alternative International (us-acentos) keymap

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 20:17:43 +0200
Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 10:43:41PM -0300, nacho Lariguet wrote:
> > eg: I want to type ' followed by a and get á
> > eg: I want to type " followed by u and get ü
> > eg: I want to type ~ followed by n and get ñ
> >
> > I cannot find it in dFly /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/
>
> Xorg 1.20 seems to no longer respect keyboard configuration directives
> from previous versions.
>
> I now have to run
>
> 	setxkbmap us -variant altgr-intl
>
> in order to use the altgr-intel keymap.
>
> It could be worth a try.

Thanks for your reply François !

I know the team is short on developers and your hard-work on the video drivers, almost alone as periodically mentioned on phoronix, is really appreciated here and followed with great interest since two years at least IIRC.

MANY thanks for keeping the pace on the intel and radeon drivers :) !

That said, no, I am not running X at all and do not plan to until I get a working syscons environment that suits me well; that is:

- digital video @ 1920x1200 ... checked (except on vty0 for now)
- 512-glyph font like Uni2-Terminus16 @ 8x16 giving me 240x75 characters @ 1920x1200 ... pending
- US international keyboard keymap ... attempting to get it working
- dragonFly-specific custom-made locale ... checked

This is exactly the environment I am using right now in linux and gives me a lot of productivity on the system console; think VIM and the like.

The BIG difference right now between dragonFly and linux is a native UTF-8-aware console; we still have syscons here (with all the codepage mess) while freeBSD already moved to vt by default and openBSD to wcons. I think the plan is to sometime port vt to dragonFly; I've seen a bounty offered somewhere in the site. Correct me if I am wrong.