HAMMER2 PFSes

Chuck Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Thu Apr 23 22:19:39 PDT 2020

Right, I wasn't trying to use the clustering feature. "cluster" appears
in the docs and a lot of the commands take or show a cluster ID, so I
wondered what it meant it the system as it stands now. I might have been
trying to read it too literally. Also, the formatting of my earlier
questions got screwed up and were hard to read. I'll try again.

If you create a master PFS on a filesystem without specifying a cluster
ID, I think what you end up with is an entirely independent "root" that
can use whatever space is available on the filesystem. It's independent
of other PFSes, meaning that the content is different. Is that a correct
understanding?

If you create a master on that filesystem and specify the cluster ID
that already exists, I'm not sure what you end up with. It does allow
that, however. What is that configuration (multiple masters for a
cluster ID) for? Maybe that would useful for a cluster distributed
across machines, but not currently?

If you create a slave (by specifying an existing cluster ID), it seems
to be what you'd expect: a copy of the master. But you can't mount it
when the master is also mounted. Did I do something that doesn't make
sense?

As for the cluster ID, I didn't consider the possibility that you should
just pay attention to it or use it at all in the commands. Maybe I
should just not use it now?

Chuck