HAMMER2 snapshots and other help

George g.lister at nodeunit.com
Wed Mar 6 18:32:43 PST 2019

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 12:47:02 -0800
Matthew Dillon <dillon at backplane.com> wrote:

> Originally I wanted to be able to snapshot subdirectory trees but I
> could never make it work.  Snapshots are always of the mount-point
> now.  The hammer2 manual page is a bit behind in that respect.
> Otherwise though the snapshot command works as advertised.   the
> 'pfs-list' command lists available snapshots.
>
> You can mount a snapshot with <device>@LABEL, but if anything on that
> device has already been mounted you can use a simple shortcut 'mount
> @LABEL ...' to mount the snapshot.  Snapshots are writable.  Unlike
> Hammer-1, in Hammer-2 the snapshot must be mounted to access it.
>
> -Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the clarification. I am still getting the hang of it. Yes
subtree snapshots would be interesting but for my use case each jail
can have it's own PFS so don't really need subtrees. Also I am not sure
if I create a pfs then mount it in the tree with it's root as a
directory and I am able to snapshot part of it might be a bit
confusing.

One think I found possible is to delete a PFS while I have it mounted
in the directory tree. I got errors on trying to delete the tree after
I had deleted the PFS, but not when I did the hammer2 pfs-delete
command I am guessing there is no direct link between the two.

How can I view history on a file? There is no hammer2 history anymore?

On a maybe different not I would really like how to get rid of the rm
prompt :) .

Cheers,
George