DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 07:38:37 PDT 2019

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 05:19:06 +0800, you wrote:

>I had been watching and hoping that DragonflyBSD would incorporate a
>driver for the nVIDIA Optimus stuff.

Like any open source project, it requires either someone to do it or
someone to pay someone to do it.

So far no one with Nvidia hardware has undertaken the effort to get
Nouveau or the binary Nvidia driver working on DragonFlyBSD.

>When I tried to find open source operating systems that would run my
>laptop computer with an i7 Haskell CPU and nVIDIA Optimus, I could
>find only two non-MS operating systems  that would drive the CPU -
>only Ubuntu Linux (no other Linux) and DragonflyBSD (no other BSD) had
>drivers for the Intel Haskell architecture, and, only Ubuntu Linux
>(going back to v12.04) had drivers for both the Intel Haskell
>architecture and the nVIDIA Optimus thingy. The computer is currently
>running UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04.x.

There is nothing magical about Optimus anymore, I would guess pretty
much any Linux distro should support it(*) though it appears that it
requires the binary driver from Nvidia.  Thus it would seem if the
relevant bits were made to work on any of the BSD's then they should
support it as well.

> with DragonflyBSD now
>apparently going to end the use of the mailing list, it appears that
>it is now time for me to give up waiting for DragonflyBSD to provide
>an operating system that I could use. Especially, if, even if a driver
>for the nVIDIA Optimus thing, became available, mailing list support
>would not be available.

To be clear, the email didn't say support would be going away but
rather that DragonFly would be moving to a web based system instead of
email.

* https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Optimus