DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 17:10:13 PDT 2019

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 18:24:35 +0300, you wrote:

>It is often inconvenient to have to launch a web browser (as bloated as
>they have become) to simply send a few bytes of text communication.
>Browsers are massive ecosystems with their own caveats and security
>issues.

Most people these days always have a web browser open, thus they don't
have the same inconvenience, as they are using it to search Google,
use slack, stack overflow, etc.

>For example look at how much work went into getting rust working on
>DragonFly (necessary for Firefox). If the current trends around browsers
>continue, it may continue take inordinate amounts of time to keep these
>things working well on DragonFly.

On the other hand, if you can get more people actively involved in
helping with DragonFly that this is less of an issue...

>I have an indexed database of every single email sent to users@ since I
>started using DragonFly. In a second I can call up reference to a
>previous problem and troubleshoot. This is invaluable.

I suspect you are a minority in that respect.