DragonFlyBSD Project Update - colo upgrade, future trends

Romick yellowrabbit2010 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 16:48:04 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 01:56:07PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> Francois Tigeot (ftigeot) has done a ton of work taking DRM up to Linux-4.7.10
> and this has worked very well for Intel iGPUs.  We are now finally starting to
> dive into Linux's 'amdgpu' subsystem which is much older, in order to modernize
> our AMD support (which is still deficient).   Numerous other people have spent
> a considerable amount of time helping test GPU support and tracking down bugs.
> The work is ongoing.

Hooray! DragobFly has been my main desktop machine for 8 years now, and although my work has become more connected with microcontrollers and embedded devices, it still remains my main desktop.
And it was all the more terrible when my tools, such as the FreeCAD and the KiCad, stopped working because of problems with Radeon video adapter.

> The mailing lists are not seeing much if any activity any more.  This is more a
> generational issue... people kinda prefer web-based forums these days and
> younger generations do not use mailing lists at all for group stuff (not
> really).  Even the devs almost universally use IRC and not mailing lists for
> discussions now (its kinda too bad that we don't have a permanent irc log
> stored on DFly servers for posterity).  So we are looking into potentially
> shifting user interaction to a web-based forum, perhaps this year, and retiring
> the mailing lists, leaving just an archive for the mailing list.  Possibly
> sometime this year, so look for action on that upcoming.

It is very inconvenient that there is no single archive of communication
for developers on irc. Since the conditions of my access to the network
have changed, I can no longer keep the client open and keep abreast of
trends, ideas, current problems and solutions.

P.S. I'm always on the HEAD of the master in terms of the world,
just the kernel is a backup from March :)

--
  with best regards,
  Yellow Rabbit @yrabbit at mastodon.sdf.org
  DragonFly 5.5-DEVELOPMENT x86_64