DragonFly on Power9?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 06:29:51 PST 2019

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 23:31:08 -0500, you wrote:

>That page states "No, there will be no effect on AIX or IBM i application
>environments as a result of this change." AIX on Power is big-endian. AIX is a
>Unix and should therefore run Bezitopo (and Quadlods and any other software I
>write on Linux or BSD) without change.

Fair enough, and I guess you should be admired for your dedication
although I do wonder realistically whether the cost (both in money and
time) is worth it for what is a very niche platform that big-endian is
these days.

I would though be surprised if it was worth the effort to port
DragonFly to big-endian Power though given any realistic interest for
DragonFly on Power would likely be little-endian given that is the
dominant Power market (such as it is).

It would also be a signficant long-term undertaking, not just for the
kernel itself but the software ecosystem that is in Ports - one of the
examples given in the Fedora reasoning was the Go language doesn't
fully work on big-endian and the effort to fix this couldn't be
found/justified.