Coupla questions on DragonFly as a desktop OS

John Long codeblue at inbox.lv
Sun Oct 28 01:04:39 PDT 2018

Hi,

I have some miscellaneous questions on the way to finding a new desktop
OS. Thanks to anybody who would help with this:

Acrobat reader: I have a lot of manuals in .pdf format and I haven't
found anything I can tolerate other than acroread. I'm not saying there
isn't anything good, I just haven't seen it. I don't need forms support
or change tracking or any fancy stuff. I want 2-up display and I need
internal links to work. I also have a bunch of .djvu but the djview
reader is mostly ok.

Computer languages: Are Fortran and Ada available? I looked in the
dports directory at UK Mirror Service and I didn't find any of the
common names (gfortran, gcc-ada, gnat (the language, not the bug
tracker)).

Virtualization: Is there a way to run Linux in a VM?

HAMMER2: Is it possible to set up a root mirror in the installer and if
not can I add a disk to mirror the root after installing? I don't know
anything about HAMMER/HAMMER2 but I use ZFS on Solaris and I am hoping
to get some of the same management features with HAMMER2, mostly the
stuff about filesystems taking only the space they need, and having
good software mirroring that makes it easy to pull out a bad drive,
swap in a new one, and everything works with no data loss.

Are web browsers like Opera and Chrome available? Don't get me wrong, I
hate google bitterly, but Chrome's translation feature is handy when it
works. I like Opera's UI but I can live with Firefox.

Is the JFS filesystem supported? I have a bunch of external drives
using JFS.

Thanks,

/jl