dfly-update: Simple shell tool to update a DFly using release/snapshot IMG

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Mon Mar 12 07:36:59 PDT 2018

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:21:59 +0000
Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/12/18, Aaron LI <aly at aaronly.me> wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 12:07:46 +0000
> > Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks Aaron, this is nice. For step 6, didn't OpenBSD have an /etc
> >> update/diff tool to make this easier?
> >
> > Thanks for reminding the OpenBSD's tool (didn't know that before), will
> > have a look at that in the following days.  I only knew FreeBSD's
> > mergemaster, but I think it maybe to heavy.
> >
> > Nevertheless, manually merge several files works OK for me :-)
>
> I couldn't find the name of OpenBSD's tool, just remembered it existed
> when I tried it more than 10 years ago.

I already found that OpenBSD tool: sysmerge(8):
https://man.openbsd.org/sysmerge.8

It is also a shell script (ksh), ~600 LoC, and can be further trimmed for our
use (since it contains some perl/pkg_* handles).

While FreeBSD's mergemaster(8) is also a shell script (POSIX sh), but is much
longer (~1400 LoC).

According to the copyright notices in sysmerge(8), it is adapted from an
earlier version of mergemaster(8).  Anyway, the batch merge loop using
sdiff(1) seems very handle, and I may try it later.

Cheers,
--
Aaron