The future of HAMMER1

M. L. Wilson ipc at peercorpstrust.org
Sat Jul 21 02:58:51 PDT 2018

+1

H1's "mirror-stream" is a killer feature, low overhead and just works.

In my case, compression and live deduplication were enough for me to make the switch wholesale from H1 to H2. The vast majority of my data are highly compressible and often replicated throughout thousands of directory hierarchies, so these are killer features for me. Its also nice that I don't need $3,000 worth of RAM to be able to make use of deduplication on large filesystems.

I have been using H2 even before it was declared stable, and in my experience, it is good enough to be used in production with even very demanding workloads that stress the filesystem.

While clustering is likely a ways off, some kind of mirror-stream-like functionality to cover what H1 could do I think could see many H1 users make the switch. Rsync is fine for backups as a short term fill-in, but mirror-stream is superior in many ways. The ability to have a filesystem span multiple disks is also a feature that I very much miss from H1.