please explain ...

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Thu Jul 19 09:51:38 PDT 2018

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 17:14:25 +0200
Holm Tiffe <holm at freibergnet.de> wrote:

> I've dd'ed an Win95 Disk Drive to the filesystem for backup purposes (the
> disk came from an industrial controller wich died with an defective
> Mainboard),  copied the disk dump, mounted is as memory disc containing
> msdosfs and copied some driver stuff to that memory disk more than once.
> Later I've dumped that stuff to another disk wich got mounted to another
> computer and is controlling the production process of Glass Windows now.

Thanks for the details.

> ... but I'm not sure anymore if I actually used md disks or vn disks,
> since I can't find an mdconfig in DFLY but an vnconfig, and mdconfig in
> FreeBSD which has the functionality of vnconfig in DFLY.. sorry.

Yeah, DFly only has vnconfig(8).  FreeBSD developed mdconfig that replaced
vnconfig (or updated vnconfig to be mdconfig).

But generally, you can just use vnconfig on DFly.

> The interesting thing is that I have now, after an reboot of the DFLY
> Laptop only this:
>
> $ ls -l /dev/vn*
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    5, 0xffff00ff 19-Jul-2018 19:01 /dev/vn
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    5, 0x1e110007 19-Jul-2018 19:01 /dev/vn0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    5, 0x1e11000f 19-Jul-2018 19:01 /dev/vn1
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    5, 0x1e110017 19-Jul-2018 19:01 /dev/vn2
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    5, 0x1e11001f 19-Jul-2018 19:01 /dev/vn3
> $ ls -l /dev/md*
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    7, 0x1e110007 19-Jul-2018 19:01 /dev/md0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    7, 0x1e100007 19-Jul-2018 19:01
> /dev/md0s0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    7, 0x1e11000f 19-Jul-2018 17:02 /dev/md1
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    7, 0x1e10000f 19-Jul-2018 17:02
> /dev/md1s0
>
> ..so now only two md disks getting configured..but it is more than a
> month ago since I've used one of them and rebooted many times since
> then.
>
> What the heck is going on here?

This is the normal state: vn, vn[0-4], md0 and md1.  I think you're using the
initrd(7) to mount encrypted root, so the initrd image uses the md0, then
the md1 is auto created.

Cheers,
--
Aaron