Small form factor with two NICs and/or wireless

Ben Woolley tautolog at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 15:37:20 PST 2018

Hi Pierre,

I am currently using this as a dragonfly firewall. I also have my firewall config template at:
https://github.com/legitparty/dflyfwconf

Jetway JBC313U591W Intel Celeron N3160 Dual LAN Fanless NUC /4GB,120GB mSATA SSD - Configured and Assembled by MITXPC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9AV9V2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RQNyAbQW7YGFH

It is not very powerful, and I got it a few years ago, and it isn’t a great value these days in terms of computing power. However, it has been rock solid as a firewall. I even used it as my main desktop for the first two years. It can handle 4K at 30Hz, NOT 60 Hz. The graphics driver on DragonFly has been solid, and it even has a serial port, which is nice. Now it serves only as a firewall and router, and handles two openvpn connections as well.

I don’t use the wireless on it at all. For that I just use an array of airport extremes. It works well to have the wireless commodity, and more free to move around to remove wireless dead spots. If you want me to, I can try out the wireless just to see if it works with DragonFly.

I now have a separate i7 msi cubi 2 as my desktop, and I am very glad I moved to that layout instead, with a desktop that is decoupled from the routing. I have some issues with graphics with the cubi, and use scfb right now.

Ben