Clarifying the Spectre mitigations...

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Tue Jan 9 22:26:29 PST 2018

All Intel processors in the last 10 years except a few Atoms are affected.
So, for all intents and purposes, all Intel processors in the last 10 years.

On all Intel CPUs the mmu separation reduces performance by around 3.7% for
general computinng.

On Haswell, kernel-only IBPB mode (MSR 0x48=1) we lose 12%, and IBPB all
the time we lose 53%.

On Skylake, kernel-only IBPB mode (MSR 0x48=1) we lose 5%, and IBPB all the
time we lose around 24%.

Combine the two together and it's pretty nasty.  Best-case Skylake we lose
8.7% in performance with both mitigations active, kernel-only for IBPB, and
we lose 27.7% performance (approximately) with bot mitigations active, IBPB
on all the time.

For Haswell mode 2 performance (IBPB on all the time) is so horrendous I
don't think anyone is going to use it.

I haven't even put any RetPoline stuff in yet.  That will require a lot of
compiler work, which zrj is doing.  However, RetPoline is not expected to
reduce performance much more.

Note that none of this stuff represents a complete fix for Spectre.  Not
even full-on IBPB mode.  It will take new hardware to get a more complete
fix plus our performance back.  Basically the branch prediction cache will
need to tag the protection domain and either PCID or be cleared on %cr3
reload.  And possibly also tag more address bits which it doesn't right now.

DragonFly now has an initial support for spectre and Intel microcode
updates.  I also renamed the sysctl/tunable for mmu separation.  The two
sysctl's are now:

machdep.meltdown_mitigation  (set to 0 or 1)

machdep.spectre_mitigation  (set to 0, 1, or 2 -- requires appropriate
microcode)

-Matt