dhcpcd now in dfly - disabled by default, tests needed

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Wed Dec 12 07:41:01 PST 2018

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 14:57:23 +0100
Daniel Bilik <ddb at neosystem.org> wrote:

> After several more reboots (needed to bisect another problem, see thread
> "Recent kernel anomalies" ;-)), I've hit a state where dhcpcd was unable
> to acquire an address even with custom flags. There were more errors than
> just "transition lost"...
>
> wlan0: ieee80211_new_state_locked: pending SCAN -> AUTH transition lost
> iwm0: device timeout
> iwm0: dumping device error log
> iwm0: errlog not found, skipping
> iwm0: could not initiate scan
> iwm0: could not initiate scan
> iwm0: could not initiate scan
>
> ... and a system was left without an address, until I've manually
> restarted networking via "/etc/rc.d/netif restart".
>
> Reverting back to dhclient made getting the connectivity smooth again for
> me.

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the delay.

I've tested dhcpcd+wpa_supplicant on my X200, and found that dhcpcd indeed broke the wpa_supplicant's ongoing SSID scan and thus prevented SSID association.  Until we have a better fix, I propose to add a small delay after starting wpa_supplicant, which allows the SSID scan to finish before starting the dhcp client (e.g., dhcpcd).  Here is the patch: https://github.com/liweitianux/dragonflybsd/commit/aa4068a29fa94df67364aaac6cacdbed6ed0da46

Along the way to debug this issue, I've made some significant improvements and cleanups to the network rc scripts.  Here is the branch ready for pushing: https://github.com/liweitianux/dragonflybsd/commits/rcnet

It would be great if you could help test these patches.  To test, pull my branch, then buildworld, installworld, and upgrade.  Thanks very much.

Cheers,
--
Aaron