How to shrink a HAMMER partition without data loss?

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Wed Sep 27 15:23:48 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 19:32 +0800, Aaron LI wrote:

> I'm running DragonFlyBSD on a VPS, with partition scheme of boot(UFS) +
> swap + root(HAMMER) (all these 3 partitions are located in a BSD slice).
>
> I want to shrink the root partition (HAMMER filesystem) in order to make
> room for a bigger dump partition (*), as well as for other tests.  How
> can I achieve this without data loss?

I found a discussion about resizing HAMMER filesystem on this list in
2013 [1], and Dillon have summarized the deficiencies and best features
of HAMMER1 [2].

According to the discussion there, a HAMMER1 filesystem cannot be
resized.  May be HAMMER2 will support resizing.

[1] http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2013-May/288697.html
[2] http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2013-May/309780.html

Cheers,
--