DragonFly 5.0 released!

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 14:03:21 PDT 2017

On 17/10/2017, Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> No, I mean the proprietary binary-only driver that NVIDIA supplies.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
>
> Nouveau is specifically open source.
>
> https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
> I don't think nouveau works on DragonFly... but I haven't tried it.
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/16/17, Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
>>> DragonFly 5 does include the vga_switcheroo module which works for
>>> some Mac models that have multiple video cards, but I don't know if
>>> that applies to you here.
>>>
>>> Note that NVIDIA keeps their drivers private, so there's no
>>> accelerated video under NVIDIA on DragonFly.  The default vesa driver
>>> should perform very well, however.
>>
>> Do you mean Nouveau?

I have been using Ubuntu Linux since about 12.04, because it has had
nouveau, which allowed this computer to run an external monitor via an
nVidia GeForce thing.

 It had taken me about 18 months to two years, to find a non-MS OS
that would run the hardware on this computer.

Only DragonflyBSD and Ubuntu Linux had drivers for the CPU
architecture (Intel Haskell, from memory, and only Ubuntu Linux had
drivers for the nVidia Optimus system or architecture.

I was hoping that DragonflyBSD would be able to run on this hardware.

I note that the web page at the URL above, includes

"
The nouveau project aims to build high-quality, free/libre software
drivers for nVidia cards. “Nouveau” [nuvo] is the French word for
“new”. Nouveau is composed of a Linux kernel KMS driver (nouveau),
Gallium3D drivers in Mesa, and the Xorg DDX (xf86-video-nouveau). The
kernel components have also been ported to NetBSD.
"

I do not know whether that means that NetBSD will run nouveau.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."