Realtek NIC update for testing

Lars Schotte gustopn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 14:05:33 PST 2017

Wait a moment. I have been seeing one issue on this realtek cards,
reproducible on Linux and FreeBSD.

The problem was that when you hit a realtek card with gigabit speeds,
both ways at the same time, for example with NFS, having a pf firewall
in place, you will get a watchdog timeout.

Problems like this do not happen on Intel NICs.
Some report that problems go away with Realtek official driver (from
their website), but havent tried that (I solved the problem by buying a
intel nic).

Also surprising was that I tested some old PCI RTL8169SC and they max
at 150 Mbit/s even though they should (in theory) transfer gigabit.

To me it blows my mind how can someone sell such hw. And ppl like me
not even noticing until having replaced all switches with gigabit and
noticing a bottleneck somewhere in the net I did not expect.

On cheap mainboards sometime they do put in Atheros, you do not see
that happening there. For me, every realtek nic is a 100Mbit/s nic no
matter if it is a 100Mbit/s nic or gigabit.

I d like to know your opinions on it. And second I am interested if
dragonfly has a driver that is somewhat different from FreeBSD's or
Linux's (they behave the same way).

Thanks.

--
 Lars Schotte