open ptg file?

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 19:17:22 PDT 2017

Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, May 22, 2017, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >

> > > Dear Dfly Users,
> > >
> > > How does one open a *.ptg file?
> >
> > Why don't you ask your Pearson's sales rep or their technical support?
> > You might also want to have a computer running supported OS handy as I
> > am quite sure, based on my dealings with them, that nobody in that
> > publishing company have ever heard of DragonFly BSD.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Predrag
> >
> The folks will kindly ask me to use windblows and that they cannot help me
> because I am in uncharted territory :(  Linux OS supports the app, but most
> have systemd, and I can use that, but as a last resort.  I would like to
> get it working on DflyBSD as well!
>
> I use another link to open the gradebook, it is a *.jnlp file opens java
> web start with icedtea-web plugin, it works on Freebsd, but I would like to
> also use Dragonfly to open gradebook app, but it simply does not work.  I
> know java works, but web plugin icedtea-web does not.  I get a
> plugin-container.core file in ~/ .  I know that firefox does not open java
> apps anymore, i use firefox-esr which still does.  Any pointers or other
> advice is appreciated
>
> Best Regards,

The DragonFly userbase is miniscule so I would be very surprised to find
out that anybody except you and I know what we are talking about right
now. You could be very well right and Person gradebook could be very
well something as simple as *.jnlp file in some kind wrapper. You have
two options. To figure out on your own and see if it is possible to open
it using generic tools or to keep your gradebook in some friendlier
format like .csv for example. While my teaching days are now behind me I
used to have very high teaching load for a University professor. I had
bunch of AWK scripts for processing gradebooks.

http://predrag.freeshell.org/teaching/awk.html

As a guy with 18 years of university teaching experience my
recommendation to deal with scores from online grading tools like
Person, WebAssign, or even Blackboard or Desire2Learn gradebooks would
be to export them into CSV files, process them with AWK, and then just
upload CSV files wherever they are needed.

Cheers,
Predrag