QEMU upstream marked DragonFly BSD as unsupported host systems in 2.9 release

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sat May 20 21:09:46 PDT 2017

A DragonFlyBSD Newbie Here,

Thanks to Aaron Lee for posting the interesting news about QEMU and DragonFlyBSD.

My business strategy for a new website has DragonFlyBSD running as a guest os on a QEMU / KVM virtual machine. I already have a prototype DragonFly installation on a VM at ElasticHosts. But I have not touched it in many months, due to changed business priorities. Nevertheless, I continue to follow this DragonFlyBSD email discussion forum with great interest. And I do plan eventually to get back to using DragonFlyBSD on that VM..

* * *
* * *

Just looking to clarify the implications of the announcement by the QEMU folks.

It is my understanding, that:

1. The announcement that DragonFlyBSD is now an unsupported *host* os for QEMU, refers to the ability of DragonFlyBSD to host the QEMU facilities that provide VMs.

and

2. The announcement has nothing to do with running DragonFlyBSD as a *guest* os on a QEMU VM hosted on Linux.

Is my understanding correct ?

* * *
* * *

Thanks in advance for any responses.