pkg: http://mirror-master.dragonflybsd.org/dports/dragonfly:4.8:x86:64/LATEST/All/pango-1.40.4.txz: Forbidden

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 12:43:23 PDT 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:51 PM, Justin Sherrill
<justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there another mirror? or another way to get the updates?
>> Maybe I will have to update via source?
>> If that is blocked as well, then I am in trouble.
>
> There's a list of mirrors on the DragonFly website - any of the ones
> listing binary ports:
>
> https://www.dragonflybsd.org/mirrors/
>
> You can add the download link into pkg.conf and have pkg pull from
> there.  I don't know what keywords is making your company block
> traffic, so I can't tell what's making it not work.  Talk to your
> company's computer staff and find out why this is blocked; it seems
> accidental.  If they remove the block, you can get back to normal
> operation immediately.
>
> The alternative is building from source - go to /usr/ and type 'make'
> to see options for downloading dports - described at the end of this
> page:
>
> https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/
>
> Or run synth to build everything:
>
> https://github.com/jrmarino/synth

I was able to get the updates successfully.
Thanks to all who provided insight and advice.  The school introduced
a new firewall blocking some websites that seem harmful :(  I cannot
download some programs because they are considered bad, I have to
download the source and build that way if possible.

However, I might bring up another machine and try to test building
from source.  Is there an idiot proof guide to synth, ie, a howto for
dummies?

I was able to run
# portmaster -a
and update all ports at one point in time and I enjoyed doing it.  Now
I am just lazy and use
# pkg update
and/or
# pkg upgrade

We update the dports tree, as directed in your mail, but the synth
page is complicated at first sight.  This is why I am asking.  I have
a problem with icedtea-web, java plugin not working. It works in
FreeBSD, but not here in dfly :( Maybe if I build it from source?
problem could go away?  how do I troubleshoot these details.

Best Regards,

Antonio