HAMMER, disk mirroring and secure NFS

Tomohiro Kusumi kusumi.tomohiro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 06:59:07 PDT 2017

> A PFS is more like a namespace, I got that.

It's a logical separation within HAMMER's B-Tree. Things
(inode/dirents/data/etc) that belong to PFS#1 are logically clustered
within the tree, and the same for PFS#2,3,4,etc. The only different
one is PFS#0 which is what you have by default after newfs_hammer.
PFS#0 includes all the other PFSes. Having logically clustered
sub-tree and exported to userspace via PFS symlink makes
mirror-copy/etc easier to implement when there are certain target
directories that you want to copy to/from.

> Can the target PFS (the mirror) be mounted (yeah, I know, read only)

To be exact, the fs itself isn't readonly mounted (though you can
readonly mount if you want to). The fs just denies on runtime when you
try to have write access to it. In other words, PFSes within the fs
aren't (and can't be) mounted independently. They are just logical
separation within a single fs.

> and then accessed as any other filesystem, i.e. I can ls, cd and then cp a single file from the ro-pfs-mirror to another filesystem ?

Yes, you can do general POSIX like operations between this slave PFS
and other HAMMER (whether PFS#0 or other master PFS or other HAMMER
fs) or UFS, etc. You just can't do write to slave PFSes by design.