Kaby Lake support

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Mar 28 12:51:03 PDT 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:44:21PM +0200, Andrea wrote:
> Hi, I have the chance to get a PC with Kaby Lake CPU (I5-7500) for a
> very low price. I know the GPU is not supported

The GPU is supported.
It could be a bit rough with DragonFly 4.8 though. The intel graphics
driver is based on Linux 4.6 in this version, and Kabylake support was
still somewhat untested.

If you encounter some issues, try to upgrade to git master. The drm/i915
driver there is based on Linux 4.7.10 and Kabylake support is no longer
experimental.

> but what about the CPU part?

The CPU is the same as in the Skylake generation.
As far as I know, Intel only changed the GPU and didn't upgrade anything
in the CPU at all.

--
Francois Tigeot