NVME M.2 card road tests

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Wed Mar 8 18:27:02 PST 2017

I've tested a number of other M.2 NVMe SSDs and decided to put a summary up
here:

http://apollo.backplane.com/DFlyMisc/nvme_randread.txt

I have now been able to add the Intel 600P, Toshiba OCZ, and Samsung 960
EVO.  I'll be able to test the Crucial later when it gets delivered.  I
previously tested the Samsung 951 and the Intel 750. I don't include the
750 in this URL because its a larger, expensive PCIe card.  I'm focusing on
the M.2 tests.  All SSDs were tested in a Xeon system with PCI-3.0 sockets,
placed in a PCIe card carrier for M.2.

My conclusion, so far, is that the Samsung SSDs offer the best performance,
value, and safety.  The Intel 600P is a piece of junk (never buy one), and
while the Toshiba did very well in performance tests it also got rather
hot, topping out at 81C, and didn't flag the over-heat or auto-throttle
insofar as I can tell.  The Intel actually did auto-throttle.  Neither
Samsung over-temp'd.  The 960 EVO stayed very cool, in fact.

I'll add the crucial when I get it and put it through its paces.