Network performance comparison as of today.

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 23:44:22 PST 2017

Hi all,

Since so many folks are interested in the performance comparison, I
just did one network related comparison here:
https://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/perf_cmp.pdf

The intention is _not_ to troll, but to identify gaps, and what we can
do to keep improving DragonFlyBSD.

According to the comparison, we _do_ find one area DragonFlyBSD's
network stack can be improved:
Utilize all available CPUs for network protocol processing.

Currently we only use power-of-2 CPUs to handle network protocol
processing, e.g. on 24 CPUs system, only 16 CPUs will be used to
handle network protocol processing.  It is fine for workload involving
userland applications, e.g. the HTTP server workload.  But it seems
forwarding can enjoy all available CPUs.  I will work on this.

Thanks,
sephe

--
Tomorrow Will Never Die