High cpu temperature and fan when loading i195 kernel module

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Mon Jun 12 01:39:54 PDT 2017

Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 08:58:26PM +0200, Luca Franchini wrote:

> thank you for answering and for your work too. I'll will stay tuned for
> next updates.

Thanks Luca!

With the help of dillon@, I noticed the first core of my Skylake laptop was
being pegged by acpi interrupts:

[systat -pv 1 output]
       timer     ipi  extint user%  sys% intr% idle%  smpcol
cpu0     238      11   25316   0.0  51.1  48.1   0.8       0

[vmstat -i output]
interrupt                    total       rate
acpi0                     89216043      23348

Setting a much lower treshold for misbehaving interrupts made the laptop
usable. These are the sysctls I used:

kern.livelock_lowater=1000
kern.livelock_limit=2000

It's far from perfect though and power usage is still excessive; I'll try
to learn more about the acpi subsystem in order to find out what exactly
is going wrong here.

--
Francois Tigeot