[Bug #3032] IPFW3: memory leakage? objcache(xxx): Exhausted!

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Wed Jun 7 08:20:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-06-07 at 14:46 +0000, Bill Yuan wrote:
> Hi Aaron,

Hi Bill,

> Sorry for replying one month late, I was in long holiday those days.

Sorry to disturb you... and thank you take the time to investigate this issue.

The VPS currently serves my mails (SMTP+IMAP) and CardDAV+CalDAV, so I want to
keep it running smoothly.

But I have another DFly machine at home (bare metal, not VM), which mainly
runs (may be quite a lot) BitTorrent, and I can use it to help you test IFPW3.
 The same IPFW3 problem happened on both this machine and my VPS (as I posted
in another email).

The following provided information is for my DFly bare-metal machine at home:

> May I ask for some information from you.
>
> 1. uname -a

$ uname -a
DragonFly dfly.aaronly.me 4.9-DEVELOPMENT DragonFly v4.9.0.242.gfa5c6-
DEVELOPMENT #3: Fri May 12 15:50:05 CST 2017     root at dfly.aaronly.me:/usr/obj
/usr/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC  x86_64

$ sysctl -a | grep memory
real memory  = 8577542144 (8180 MB)
avail memory = 7949684736 (7581 MB)

(current normal state: without IPFW3)
$ netstat -m
16/293376 mbufs in use (current/max):
515/17248 mbuf clusters in use (current/max)
38/8368 mbuf jumbo clusters in use (current/max)
	565 mbufs and mbuf clusters allocated to data
	4 mbufs and mbuf clusters allocated to packet headers
1038 Kbytes allocated to network (0% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

> 2. Do you have lots of connection or lots of traffic?

Yes for my home DFly machine, which seeding ~70 torrents.  This machine had
very good uptime (>100 days with ~2 TB uploading & >100 GB downloading)
without IPFW3 enabled.  However, when I enabled IPFW3 to validate the problem
occurred on my VPS, the same issues happened within <1 day on this DFly
machine (though it has 8GB RAM and allows quite a lot mbuf clusters).

As for my VPS (512MB RAM), it mainly serve my emails and does not have much
traffic, and the "objcache exhausted" issue occurred in about 1-2 days with
IPFW3 enabled.

> 3. sysctl -a | grep net.inet.ip.fw_basic.state_expiry_check_interval

net.inet.ip.fw_basic.state_expiry_check_interval: 10

> 4. sysctl -a | grep kern.clockrate

kern.clockrate: { hz = 100, tick = 10000, tickadj = 5, profhz = 128, stathz =
128 }

> 5. You VPS spec as well.

My VPS has 512 MB RAM, 2 CPU cores, and (I think) is a QEMU VM, uses VirtIO
and VirtNet emulated by the VM supervizor.

Regards,
--
Aly