Thinkpad x230 - trying to get TrackPoint / Touchpad working in X

Bryan C. Everly bryan at bceassociates.com
Mon Jul 3 05:46:35 PDT 2017

Figured it out based on feedback from folks here as well as some
additional searching and digging through dmesg output on Linux,
OpenBSD and FreeBSD for this particular laptop (yeah, I'm the nutter
who put four operating systems on an x230 under UEFI with rEFInd)!

Here's what I ended up having to do.  The TrackPoint device is
actually a PS/2 mouse from a hardware perspective (at least according
to dmesg output), so I added the following to my /etc/rc.conf:

moused_enable="YES"
moused_type="auto"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"

Once I did that, the /etc/X11/xorg.conf that was auto-generated by
Xorg -configure worked AOK and picked up the mouse.  Since I don't use
the microscopic touchpad on this laptop (I think I've licked postage
stamps bigger than this thing) I'm not sure if that works, but since
my primary use case is the red pencil eraser mouse and it's working,
I'll take the victory.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience as I try to shift OpenBSD
experience over to your platform and learn it.

Thanks,
Bryan