Trouble with DPorts (based on freebsd-ports)

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Tue Feb 14 15:34:28 PST 2017

On 2/14/2017 16:17, Rimvydas Jasinskas wrote:
> [snip]
> Luckily this update has not hit us unprepared and by pure luck we had
> to delay the DragonFly BSD v4.8 final release tag due to few last
> minute bugs noticed in VM subsystem. So at least we have not branched
> out new release before the recent unexpected freebsd-ports changes.
> To make things worse one of major contributors was just suspended
> literally the day before ports changes were introduced. We still not
> sure about the details, just hope this was not a permanent ban from
> FreeBSD-ports and he will still be able to contribute for both open
> source projects.
> [snip]
>
> I could not find any indication of him going turbo by committing
> changes without port maintainer approval (he reported to port
> maintainers as per rules, patched only the ones that that have no
> maintainer assigned) or harming ports in any way. So far it is unclear
> why so suddenly his ports commit rights were taken without giving any
> specific reason why.

It sounds like zrj took this a lot harder than I did. :)
A) I confirm that I did not "Go Turbo" (love the reference)
B) I confirm that there is no recent incident that I'm aware of.  I was
surprised too.

In the short term, there's no reason for alarm.  The DPorts tree will
start to diverge from FreeBSD ports (mainly we have fixes we don't give
back to them) but life continues.   We can still update our dports tree
as soon as the xorg stuff is sorted out.

As far as I know, the current tree is in good shape and we're okay.

John