Cannot put to sleep HP Compaq notebook

Aaron LI aaronly.me at outlook.com
Mon Oct 10 18:07:55 PDT 2016

Giovanni Gigante <giov-debian at deepsky.it> writes:

> Hello everyone,
Hi, Giovanni,

> However, I am not able to put the computer to
> sleep(/suspend/hibernate/whatever).
> "acpiconf -s 1" returns: "acpiconf: request sleep type (1) failed:
> Operation not permitted"
> Same result for types 2, 3 and 4.
As far as I known, DragonFly currently does NOT support any
suspend/resume :(
I also tried to suspend with DragonFly on my ThinkPad X200 some time
ago, but just failed with the same above error :(

> FWIW, I also tried FreeBSD 10.3. Types 1, 2 and 3 say the same thing.
> Instead "acpiconf -s 4" does something, i.e. put the machine to sleep,
> but then it seems unable to resume.
As for the suspend/resume support among BSDs, I think OpenBSD does
the best, then FreeBSD (but I do NOT tried NetBSD).

However, with the suspend/resume support, I think DragonFly will become
the #1 BSD choice for laptops!  Though it is a challenge due to the limited
manpower for the DragonFly community.

Cheers
--
Aly