Questions about current stable version of dragonflybsd regarding drivers and desktop environment

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri May 27 03:11:15 PDT 2016

On 27/05/2016, Max Herrgard <herrgard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 May 2016, at 10:12, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I am wondering whether, with the passing of time, and, with ongoing
>> development of DragonflyBSD, nVIDIA graphics devices and dual graphics
>> adaptors, are now supported within DragonflyBSD.
>
> No support for (and from) nvidia.

Hello.

I do not know whether this will work - sending this message with two
attachments, but, having sent an email message to nVIDIA, I searched
their web site, and found the content on the two attached screenshots.

I am not familiar with using or administering BSD, thence, with using
or administering DragonflyBSD, so I do not know how easy or difficult,
it would be, to install an externally supplied driver, as such, as
opposed to using the equivalent of a Linux package manager to install
software such as drivers.

Also, if that FreeBSD driver would install and work with DragonflyBSD,
how then capable, would DragonflyBSD be, in driving dual graphics
adaptors as previously mentioned?

And, as the online documentation for DragonflyBSD, appears to show
that dragonflyBSD can have only the xfce desktop installed and run, as
a compatible desktop
(https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/X/#index6h2), is
dragonflyBSD able to install and run the MATE desktop?

Thank you in anticipation.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale