Questions about current stable version of dragonflybsd regarding drivers and desktop environment

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Fri May 27 12:00:39 PDT 2016

On 5/27/2016 8:32 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 27/05/2016, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you, for making this a constructive thing again, instead of the
> flame war that the other one started.

Please don't be a drama queen.
Your first response was to call my answer "a tirade" which was absurd
(check the dictionary for what a tirade is).  Telling you that you
already had gotten the correct answer and that the follow-up question
was unreasonable is not a tirade.  It is what it is.

> I did not know that FreeBSD software, in whatever form (packages or
> otherwise), would not run on DragonflyBSD.

That's means Dmitrij is correct and you don't possess a basic
understanding of the BSD world.  Nothing wrong with that, but I assumed
you at least had these basics.

>>From what I understand of Linux, a "binary" can be installed on any
> distribution of Linux, and, a "package" requires a package manager,

 From my understanding that is false.

> and, some Linux distributions have package mangers that can deal with
> some package types (eg, Ubuntu and Debian may be able to both deal
> with .deb packages, and, so might some other distributions, and,
> package managers may be available for some distributions, to deal with
> packages designed for other distributions (I believe that a package
> manager is available for the .deb package based systems, that can deal
> with .rpm packages) ).
>
> So, I figured that it could be possible that this new (about a day or
> two, old) driver for the nVIDIA GPU, being a binary, rather than a
> distribution (eg freeBSD or DragonflyBSD or OpenBSD, etc, etc, etc)
> specific package, could be installed and run on DragonflyBSD. I did
> not expect a flame war to be started over the issue.

"flame war"?   Have you never seen a flame war?  At worst you were
gently given guidance on mail list etiquette (don't add unnecessary
large image attachments).

> Such contempt for inexperience, and hateful behaviour, as demonstrated
> in this matter (not by the person, whose message is above), is not
> conducive to increasing the popularity of the operating system.

I see.  So you have no responsibility in this after A) challenging an
answer you had gotten twice and B) saying something frankly very silly
and C) dumping unnecessary attachments when a link would suffice.

> If a person makes an incorrect assumption, such as I did, it would
> have been sufficient to have simply stated, in a friendly manner, that
> the particular driver would not work with DragonflyBSD, instead of
> flying around in a rabid rage with no sense being able to be drawn
> from the ravings.

"rabid"?  There's the flair for the dramatic again.  Here's the issue:
you were told, on two separate occasions, that nvidia was not supported.
  The implication that we aren't aware of the existence nvidia drivers
for FreeBSD is beyond naive ..  as if nobody else in the world wants
nvidia to work on DragonFly?

I just re-read my first response again.  It had two bullets,
straight-forward, and I don't see any rabies intertwined in the words.
You might want to get a thicker skin if you going to participate in
technical discussions without technical knowledge.  (as an aside, if the
first response was "rabid", I can't imagine what this one will be
classified as .. whoa).

John.