DFly versus PC-BSD on a Laptop

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue May 24 20:21:20 PDT 2016

On May 24, 2016 8:09 PM, "Justin Sherrill" <justin at shiningsilence.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Bernard Mentink <bmentink at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Currently I am running PC-BSD on a Sony Vaio Laptop with Gnome desktop
and
> > it runs quite well.
> > I was wondering about re-installing DFly on it instead. Can anyone tell
me
> > if I am going to get performance increase(i.e better kernel) and faster
file
> > system with Hammer versus ZFS?
> >
> > I need to have lot's of incentive to make the move ;)
>
> It'll be fast.  Really fast.  SUPER FAST.  The kernel will have so
> many megaflops that the chassis of your laptop will actually start to
> vibrate and rise above the surface of your desk, quietly humming.
> It'll hover there, causing pens and small children to rattle in the
> vicinity, until you reach out with a wondering hand and try to open
> the DVD-ROM cause you left your favorite Chet Faker CD in there and
> you don't want anything bad to happen to it and then BOOM.
>
> The mere act of brushing against it will upset the careful equilibrium
> set by Hammer's rebalancing mechanism, and the raw power unleashed
> will cause your laptop to shoot off through the wall of your home,
> through the nice fence your neighbor put up last year, and right
> through some branches on that odd tree that always takes forever to
> pop out leaves each spring, making you suspect it might not be that
> healthy but it's not on your property so you can't do much about it.
>
> Your laptop, shooting through space by now, leaves a sort of green
> trailing afterimage that persists for several minutes and happens to
> match the green in the DragonFly logo *exactly*.
>
> I realize this is a nonsense answer, and hope that you do too.

Damn it! I was just about to start unpacking my old P166-MMX laptop (with
80 MB of RAM!) to watch it shoot through the neighborhood. You just had to
go and ruin my evening, didn't you? Now I'll just have to contend myself
with Game of Thrones re-runs. :(

(Okay, so I didn't watch this week's episode yet, so my night isn't
completely ruined. But i still have nothing to run on that old laptop.)