Sony Vaio

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon May 2 12:04:53 PDT 2016

I think the Vaio line covered a lot of different hardware, so it's
hard to tell.  I had a Vaio some years ago from... 2006?) that I was
able to install DragonFly on, but it wasn't easy.  That's long enough
ago I can't easily say what I had to do, but since the older units
tended to have Sony-specific hardware (MemoryStick, for instance), it
was difficult.

Xorg -configure should be depositing a xorg.conf.sample file in root's
home dir if it's running; you can look at it and see if it's
configuring something crazy like not picking a default video card, or
similar.  It may be possible to figure out working settings by making
small changes to that resulting config file and seeing what works.  My
hunch is that it is some small default setting that just needs to
change.

If it doesn't create a config file, try running without one - I've had
that inexplicably work for me, where -configure got an error, but
running from nothing and having xorg guess instead of test worked
fine.