iwm driver and wifi (DF 4.4.3)

Andrew Slaughter andrew.slaughter at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:43:20 PDT 2016

Hi everyone -

I've been using Dragonfly on an old lenovo laptop for a while, and thought
I might want to give it a try on my desktop system. I wasn't sure how much
of the system would be supported (it's a skylake, with an Intel 7260AC
adapter, and a Radeon R7 360 graphics card), but wanted to give a go.... DF
4.4.3 installs just fine, but the first issue I've run into is getting the
intel wireless adapter working.

I put the following in my loader.conf:

if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm3160fw_load="YES"
iwm7260fw_load="YES"
iwm7265fw_load="YES"

I put the following in my rc.conf:

wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

and I configure wpa_supplicant.conf with the following (I've used the same
conf with my laptop):

network={
     ssid="<snip>"
     psk="<snip>"
}

None of this connects me to my wifi network, however. (I've double-checked
the name and password, and tested with different wifi networks).

When I run ifconfig at the command line, I get the following (ignoring the
other interfaces):

iwm0: flags=8843<up, broadcast, running, simplex, multicast> mtu 2290
     ether <snipped>
     media IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
     status: associated

wlan0: flags=8843<up, broadcast, running, simplex, multicast> mtu 1500
     inet6 <snipped>%wlan0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
     ether <snipped>
     ssid "" channel 1
     country US authmode WPA1+WPA2/802.11i privacy MIXED deftexkey UNDEF
txpower 0 bmiss 10 scanvalid 60 protmode CTS wme roaming MANUAL bintval 0
     media IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
     status: no carrier

An "ifconfig wlan0 up scan" returns no results.Going back and doing things
one at a time manually (for example, running "ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev
iwm0" instead of setting things in rc.conf) doesn't change anything.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Sorry if I'm missing something simple -
I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to unix. Also, if anyone knows of a
good cheap graphics card supported by Dfly that has displayport, I'd
appreciate it (just in case I don't get the R7 360 working).

Thanks!

- Andy

PS - If this data point is of interest to anyone, I played around with
getting neovim working on Dfly. The current code gets a bit farther when
you fix the elif statement in pty_process.c, but I ran into problems
related to libuv that are beyond my knowledge/capabilities.