DragonFlyBSD goals and roadmap for next decade

Daniel Bilik ddb at neosystem.org
Mon Mar 14 03:50:24 PDT 2016

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 01:20:45 +0300
purkuapas PA <purkuapas2016 at gmail.com> wrote:

> DragonflyBSD interesting to me but I do not really understand the meaning
> of the existence of the project ;-) Do you have some kind of roadmap
> and/or goals? According the history page DFLYBSD is fork of FreeBSD.

This is better described in Chapter 1 of handbook, part "About the
DragonFly Project":

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/introduction/

> However, it is unclear why this is the fork, but not, for example, a
> branch in http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/. Perhaps with its own
> kernel and scheduler.

When it comes to a question how to "properly" handle parallelism, the
kernel is not just scheduler. It's a matter of fundamental design
decisions that touch practically every kernel's area. And variant "just
its own kernel" would also not be viable solution here, because it's BSD,
where historically significant part of userland has strong bindings to
particular kernel's features and interfaces. Developers would have to
either endlessly sync and tweak FreeBSD's userland to match "own kernel"
or invent and maintain some "adapter layer" to handle differencies. Bad
choice picking either of these, thus DragonFly went (and keeps moving) the
third direction. My appreciation and thanks to all who participate on
this. :)

--
						Dan