Adding Disks + slave mirroring

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 20:47:26 PST 2016

I am playing again with my little DF NAS project tonight after almost 5
days of break due to a flu. Apparently my brain was not working last
time around since I have no problem locating Adding a Disk section in
the Handbook. It is under the UNIX Basics chapter section 8

https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/UnixBasics/

In the mean time I did end up reviewing everything about Slices (also
fdisk and gpt utilities) as well as Partitions (disklabel32 and
disklabel64)

No interestingly enough putting two used HDDs into my NAS I can
immediately see

dfly# ls -l /dev/serno
total 0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x1e110027 Mar 11 23:15 B620550018
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x1e120027 Mar 11 23:15 B620550018.s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x00020020 Mar 11 23:15
B620550018.s1a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x00020021 Mar 11 23:15
B620550018.s1b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x00020023 Mar 11 23:15
B620550018.s1d
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x1e110047 Mar 12 04:26
WD-WCAWZ2111282
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x1e100047 Mar 11 23:15
WD-WCAWZ2111282.s0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x1e11002f Mar 11 23:15
WD-WCAWZ2969584
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   23, 0x1e10002f Mar 11 23:15
WD-WCAWZ2969584.s0

without even using gpt. Would that be the case if I had 2 brand new
HDDs? I was able to create HAMMER file system on one of them

newfs_hammer -L data /dev/serno/WD-WCAWZ2111282

even after running

gpt destroy /dev/ad8 (that is actually WD-WCAWZ2111282 drive). That is
probably the reason I don't remember messing up with gpt and disklabel64
when I played with this few months ago in the VirtualBox. I also get
swapcache suggestion for the SSDs.

Predrag