DragonFlyBSD goals and roadmap for next decade

purkuapas PA purkuapas2016 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 14:20:45 PST 2016

Hi,

DragonflyBSD interesting to me but I do not really understand the meaning
of the existence of the project ;-) Do you have some kind of roadmap and/or
goals? According the history page DFLYBSD is fork of FreeBSD. However, it
is unclear why this is the fork, but not, for example, a branch in
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/. Perhaps with its own kernel and
scheduler. I've see in commit log that more than 50% commit - a sync code
with FreeBSD/other or something like that. During the 13 years of the
project, all what DFLY developers to have  (sorry, as far as I can see) for
the end-user - is new and modern file system HAMMERFS v2 (which is not yet
ready for production yet). I understand that you are not targeting on any
commercial or market.  Moreover, in a world where dominated by Linux
it is impossible
now.  And without the market and without funding, the development is very
slow.
Perhaps there is a reason to combine code base with FreeBSD? This will
prevent a lot of work on the code merging/synchronization. Furthermore,
today we a need for architectures other than x86-64. FreeBSD is quite
efficient in the arm and mips architectures - I'd really like to see
DragonFlyBSD on arm platforms. It is very interesting for me whats the
goals on DragonFlyBSD developers. And the most important thing - what
deadline/time
do you give to this. Looking back in 2003, when project was founded, have
you seen at the time that in 2016 DragonFly will be such project so what now
there? Just try to understand in DF. Thank you for your work and answers!