Minimal file set

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Fri Jun 10 05:23:18 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Konrad Neuwirth <konrad at fimsch.net> wrote:
> I don’t want to have a jail that’s ‘empty’ and contains an entire userland. I’d love to trim down /that/
> to the essentials required. Ideally, I’d have a machine with a OS that can boot and start jails and let
> me do some administration, and the jails that run their services, and nothing but that on there. I’d
> want the machines to be as streamlined as they can be for their task.

It would be the same procedure - establish a master copy of the
system, then pull out things and make sure it still runs.  If
something breaks, go back to the master version and try again
differently.  Doing it with a VM first will make it fastest.

However, I don't think what you are seeing as 'streamlined' will make
a difference.  You can delete /usr/games, for instance, but your
system won't run any faster and it will gain you only 500k of disk
space - that's less than the size of an average single web page these
days.  I suppose it may make a space difference if you have, say, 500
jails running, but I don't know if it's possible to scale like that.
You can mess with the contents of /usr/src/nrelease and use pfi to
build a custom installer, if you want to go really far into it and
prove me wrong.

This is the same conversation we had in 2013.
http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2013-November/090340.html