Minimal file set

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 07:24:55 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Justin Sherrill
<justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for hijacking the thread, but are there plans to provide base binary
>> tarballs or even modularize it into several packages for use with pkg?
>> For a stable branch to be used on servers, it'd be much, much easier.
>
> That's two separate things - binary installs, and using pkg to hold
> the base system.  I'm assuming you want binary installs.  It could in
> theory be possible to do that now with a live CD and cpdup - in
> theory.  There hasn't been anyone that I know of specifically working
> on this as an idea.

I know, and I wrote ' or ' because of that :).

I had the best BSD binary base update experience with HardenedBSD's
hbsd-update, while FreeBSD's old update scripts have always been
a little too much work. Now that FreeBSD is working on pkg'ifying base,
it might win here.

If I reformulate my question: Given that the pkg tree has binaries
and thus makes updates easy on a server, if you don't need different
make options, why is it deemed not a big deal that updating base
requires, say, a buildworld on your remote server?
Do serious dfly server operators build locally and push binaries
to the server?