Trouble running KDE or Gnome

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sun Jun 26 02:02:03 PDT 2016

On 6/26/2016 3:38 AM, Bernard Mentink wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> So why should I use the FreeBSD instructions? I thought this was
> DragonFlyBSD forum?
>
> I used the instructions from
> here: https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/X/#index2h2
>
> Are you saying I should not use the DFly instructions to setup DFly?
>
> That is just weird ..

Hi Bernard,
Of course it would be ideal if DragonFly documentation was at the same
level as FreeBSD but the fact is that this is not the case.  FreeBSD has
an entire team whose primary responsibility is documentation.

Now you may be aware that DragonFly DPorts is basically FreeBSD ports
made to work on DragonFly.  As such, instructions to install third-party
software on FreeBSD are good for DragonFly as well.  So it's not weird
to reference FreeBSD documentation when DPorts are involved as is the
case here.

As a last thought, our handbook is a living wiki.  Some people have
improved KDE instructions recently, but if you think it needs more then
you have the ability to write these improvements so everyone can benefit.

DragonFly MAN pages are top notch, but the handbook / wiki is not at the
same quality level (and in some cases are poor quality).

John

---