PulseAudio 100% cpu usage under KDE

Bernard Mentink bmentink at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:36:12 PDT 2016

HI all,

I thought I would open a separate thread on this issue.

When I load the* snd_hda* module  and play some sound, the pulseaudio
process uses 100% of one CPU core (I have 4), however the sound is fine.
Even no playing anything, pulse is stuck at 100%

Is there anyway to get pulse to work correctly?

My hardware is an HP Desktop and sysctl reports the audio device as:

pcm0: <Realtek ALC662 (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)> at nid 20,27 and 24,25,26 on
hdaa0
pcm1: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 3 on hdaa1
pcm0: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 3 on hdaa0

As far as I can tell, the Realtek device support s 44.1K,48K and 96K
sampling, so down-sampling should not be an issue.

All KDE sees is the "pulse" device with VLC backend.

Thanks,
Bernie

PS: Other users have had the same issue ....