nix

Stefan Unterweger 232.20711 at chiffre.aleturo.com
Fri Jul 15 04:02:09 PDT 2016

Just out of curiosity, as I’m starting to lose track which of my various
machines has which specific kernel running…

The first few lines printed by the kernel right upon boot are like these:
| Copyright (c) 2003-2016 The DragonFly Project.
| Copyright (c) 1992-2003 The FreeBSD Project.
| Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
| 	The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
| DragonFly 4.5-DEVELOPMENT #1: Wed Jul  6 09:59:00 UTC 2016
|     root at nur-ab-sal:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC

I‘ve tried looking through the code, but I can‘t find where especially
the last two lines are generated.  I‘d like to try whether I can have
the git checkout id shown somewhere in there, so that I know which exact
kernel is running where.

Also, I‘ve noticed that the kernel that comes with the installation CD
has a line like this:
| root at www.shiningsilence.com:/usr/obj/home/justin/release/4_4/sys/X86_64_GENERIC
that is, with the fully-qualified host name of the machine that built
it.  If I build it myself, I only get the first component (‘nur-ab-sal’
in the example).  Is this intentional or just some misconfiguration on
my part?

Cheers,
    Stefan

--
Die Internetbleibe.  Schick, magisch, leistungsstark.
https://internetbleibe.de/

medoly media UG (haftungsbeschränkt), Hausburgstr. 13, 10249 Berlin

E-Mail: info at medolymedia.de
Telefon 030 - 609 826 560
Fax 030 - 609 826 569
Website: https://medolymedia.de/

Geschäftsführer: Matthias Nothhaft, HRB 131198 (Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg), Sitz: Berlin, USt-ID: DE275221203