karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 11:56:57 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org>
wrote:

> > the system (DragonFly 4.5) gets stuck, the screen is frozen at console. I
> > can only connect an external keyboard and press Ctrl-Alt-Del which gives
> > reboot. Am I wrong to suppose that loading i915 should work on a machine
> > that has two graphics devices?
>
> It should and it does: that's almost exactly the same setup I have on my
> desktop box (albeit the nvidia card is setup as the boot device).
>
> The Geforce GT 330M is apparently a mobile device.
> What is your hardware exactly ? If this is a laptop, it is possible the two
> GPUs are not independent but use something marketed as "optimus technology"
> which is currently unsupported by the DragonFly graphics stack.

Thanks, yes, you're right! It's a laptop, 15" macbookpro (MacBookPro6,2)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.53-aluminum-15-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

And yes, turns out apple have gpu switching:

http://www.techworld.com/review/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-15-inch-mid-2010-266ghz-core-i7-review-3223803/

I ran FreeBSD for a test; it gets stuck too. Xorg with linux behaves fine
though. Xorg log shows two drivers are loaded, nouveau and intel.

Until DragonFly's grahpics stack gets this feature, I wonder if there's a
way to switch off one gpu so Xorg will run?

Cheers

Peeter