console in UEFI boot

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 02:51:32 PDT 2016

Update: the console works fine if one escapes to loader prompt and sets
mode to either 0 (80x25) or 1 (80x50), and then boots the system up. The
original mode set by EFI is 2 (210x55). When the system has booted up,
ttyv0 will still be smaller in the top left corner, but switching to any
other ttyv gives a full display (105x32).

So all in all: using DragonFly 4.5 and UEFI I have a multiboot machine
(macbookpro 15) with DragonFly, MacOSX, and I also installed FreeBSD for
testing purposes.

For those interested: DragonFly can be installed manually as described on
the manual page gpt(8). The difference is in creating partitions. For
booting, create a 1 GB partition and format without labelling:

gpt add -s 2000000 -t "DragonFly UFS1" adX
newfs /dev/adXsY

where X and Y are the disk and slice respectively. Other partitions can be
labelled as usual. cpdup boot stuff to the boot partition as explained in
gpt(8), and the rest to other partitions. When you're finished, mount the
EFI system partition

mount -t msdos /dev/adsX /mnt

and copy DragonFly's EFI bootloader to it

mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/dragonfly
cp /boot/boot1.efi /mnt/EFI/dragonfly/dragonfly_x64.efi

If you have an EFI boot manager like refind, you can boot DragonFly or any
other system by choosing the respective EFI bootloader at startup. If you
don't have a boot manager, then EFI will look for

\EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI

so copy DragonFly's EFI bootloader to this file,

cp /boot/boot1.efi /mnt/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

Cheers

Peeter