heads up: library work requires full rebuilds

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Fri Jan 29 01:07:22 PST 2016

On 1/27/2016 8:49 PM, John Marino wrote:
> I've already "privatized" three libraries, and there's a fourth in the
> works.  Each time I relocate a library, a full build is required.  (this
> is to avoid ambiguity with similar dports libraries)
>
> After a bulk build check, we plan to relocate the libraries again to
> utilize rpath and move them out the standard library search path.  I'm
> being careful but consider the head potentially unstable for a few days.
>  If this is scary, you want want to hold off updating for a week or so.

The changes have been done, but it's a good idea to stay away from head
for about a week.  Many ports will immediately cease to work, so all
packages will have to be replaced.  First we'll do a bulk run and fix
the fallout, and then do a complete rebuild of master packages.  That
will take time.

If you *must* upgrade before the packages are ready, be prepared to
build dports from source.

John